Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Understanding and Enlightenment Without Judgment

I think it's interesting and a little sad that Osama Bin Ladin's death has become yet another divisive issue eliciting scorn and judgment of those who don't agree with us.

I will continue to assert that my full intentions with citing the corrected versions of the "MLK quote" were, truly, a mixture of finals insanity and annoyance at a tendency we all (including, me) have to believe things that are on facebook and continue falsities, some of them derogatory, hurtful, or blatantly sexist or racist. (If you weren't a party to my late night procrastination and sleep deprivation-induced spamming, see here.) But, I also kept feeling as there was something distasteful about the way the "MLK quote" was used, and I couldn't put my finger on why I would feel this way about something I, more or less, agreed with.

When I found out that Osama Bin Ladin was dead, rather than jubilation, I, personally felt a solemn sense of satisfaction and, perhaps, a little vindication. Because of this, I thoroughly identified with many of the similar quotes before the "MLK quote" erupted. I felt ill-at-ease and a little uncomfortable with the celebratory, back-patting response Osama's death elicited and, more so, with the over-broad, ill-supported assertions that our wars in the Middle East were winding up in response.

After a little thought, I decided that I felt this way because, the way the quote was used seemed, to me, to contain undertones of derision, judgement and condemnation.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is no way I am claiming to be any less judgmental than others. For that matter, I think that it's appropriate to judge a person's character by their actions and, perhaps, on rare occasion, even their beliefs. But judging someone's emotional response to the catching the perpetrator of an unimaginable tragedy bothers me intensely.

I've watched those I love and care for deal with tragedy in whatever way was easiest for them. I've also seen others judge them for either not being demonstrative enough in their grief, being too demonstrative and whatever other ways people come up with to judge others in an attempt to feel morally superior. I think there is something outright unkind and a little cruel in attempting to quantify, contain and control someone's demonstrations of grief.

Clearly, there is some difference between the grief of us who have been luck not to have a loved one die in 9/11 or in our wars abroad. I couldn't begin to fathom the pain and reactions I would have. Who know, but that, I would become that which I can't help but despise and begin shouting out for more war. While I think that this might be a bit of a stretch, I really can't understand what some go through. But even if I and many others are not qualified to speak of the agony of losing a loved one to terrorism or our wars, 9/11 was a strange event that touched the deepest part of many of us. It would be a lie to say that I didn't feel incredible grief and loss after 9/11 or that I don't still feel that whenever I hear of a promising youth die as a consequence, whether directly or indirectly, of terrorism.

I do think that the goals of the 99% of the expressions of distaste at the celebrations going on are to attempt to be more saint-like, Christ-like, Muhammad-like (though I will never see him being a polygamist as God's intention), God-like, or just good, in general. And I think this is an absolutely wonderful thing. I truly applaud those who work towards this every day. I just think that taking this a step further to condemning those whose reactions differ from yours (even if it does make them less like MLK or what you see God to be) is not pursuing spiritual enlightenment, but rather an self-aggrandizing gesture at moral superiority.

Besides, aren't there more productive things to disagree about and judge each other about. I mean, I don't know about you, but I still haven't seen Osama Bin Ladin's death certificate.

Anyways, I should probably get back to the final I'm going to fail in 5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment