Saturday, October 16, 2010

MetroBoy Part I

So ... I was bored.  Boredom is a very dangerous state for me.  I always either read on the metro or listen to songs and imagine that I’m belting out the lyrics at the top of my lungs in public.  However, on this particular occasion, not only was I on my way to a party and, thus, was amped up to start the night at a high pace .... but I was also accompanied by my bike.  Having my bike with me on the metro, necessitates the use of both hands to keep it upright, so I can’t read or distract myself as I am usually apt to do. 

Waiting for my transfer metro, in order to alleviate my boredom, my eye started to wander looking for a hapless victim to strike up a conversation with.  As a background note, it is not really socially acceptable to drag someone into a conversation on the metro.  D.C. culture would tell us that people on the metro like to go about their way minding their own business without being accosted by random creepers like myself.  Social norms, however, have never stood in my way.  

So, I sat down next to this guy who was waiting for the same metro train as I was.  Like me, he also had a bike on him.  I introduced myself and started talking.  I found out he's a Californian and had just gotten back from a bike ride.  I thought we hit it off pretty well.  But the train came, and because we both had bikes, we couldn't sit near each other without being an annoyance to the other people on the train.  So we boarded opposite ends.  

So I was sitting on the train ... bored, again with nothing to read or distract myself from the immensely long 10 minute ride.  I kept sneaking glances at MetroBoy on the other end of the car.  My thoughts went as follows: Fuck it.  I'll never see him again anyways and ... well, being creepy sounds like the entertaining thing to do.  So, I got off at my stop, parked by bike right outside, ran up to the front door of the car where he was, pulled out my card and told him to, "Let me know if [he] ever want[s] to hang out with a fellow Californian."  I was rushing because the metro doors were about to close ... as a matter of fact, I was pretty sure the metro conductor left them open longer for me.  I, later, found out that this was the case.  

So of course, I'm a psycho and I was almost entirely sure that I would never hear from MetroBoy because ... well ... as hot and awesome as I am ... who does that?  I probably would've scared myself off.  But, the next day, I got an email from him asking me if I wanted to get together and explore DC with him.  Also cute, the subject line was "The boy from the metro!" and he wrote a post script: "I hope this email was exciting enough to justify the use of the exclamation in the subject line."

We further conversed, and he suggested either checking out some of the museums or bike trails OR carving Halloween pumpkins!  How awesome is that!  

The pumpkin carving actually occurred last night, but because I have homework and outlining to do, I will continue the story in Part II.  

By the way, I'm going to go back and add pictures to these entries at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment